MARGARET, CATHERINE, AGNES, ELIZABETH
1.1.7 MARGARET (MAG) COUGHLAN
MARGARET was born in Kerrytown in 1888. She never married and died in Temuka on January 19, 1929 at the age of 43. Margaret lived in the Coughlan house in Temuka with her sisters, Elizabeth, Clare and Helena after their mother, Mary Coughlan died in 1921.
RIGHT: MARGARET WITH HER SISTER, ELIZABETH
1.1.8 CATHERINE COUGHLAN - SISTER M. GERMAINE
CATHERINE COUGHLAN was born on October 18, 1885, in Kerrytown. She entered into the Institute of the Sisters of St. Joseph on February 28, 1905, along with two or three other companions from Kerrytown. The date of her profession was April 5, 1907, in Sydney Australia. Sister Germaine spent time teaching at Kincumber Boys' Orphanage and briefly at Corrimal and at Drummoyne in New South Wales before returning to New Zealand in 1909. She had a serious illness during 1915 and 1916 and was off duty during that time. Her time in New Zealand was spent teaching at various places in the North Island. SISTER GERMAINE died in the Mater Hospital, on May 24, 1956, and is buried in the Panmure Catholic Cemetery, Auckland.
LEFT: SISTER GERMAINE
RIGHT: SISTER GEREMAINE AND HER SISTER, SISTER OLIVE
1.1.9 AGNES JOSEPHINE COUGHLAN - SISTER M. OLIVE
AGNES COUGHLAN was born on February 5. 1888, in Kerrytown. She entered into the Institute of the Sisters of St. Joseph on August 21, 1908. The date of her profession was July 6, 1910, in Sydney, Australia. Sister Olive returned to New Zealand after profession and taught both in the North and South Islands. During the 1960's Sister Olive was a resident at the St. Joseph's Novitiate, Shirley, Christchurch, and taught primary school at a local parish. SISTER OLIVE died in the Mater Hospital, Auckland on March 8, 1971 and is buried in the Panmure Catholic Cemetery in Auckland.
Sisters of St. Joseph were celebrating Sister Olive’s 50th Anniversary in this photo. Sister Olive is seated directly under the picture of the Last Supper. On her left is Sister Raymond who was a Brosnahan.
Agnes before she entered he order of the Sisters of St. Joseph
1.1.10 ELIZABETH (LIZ OR LIZZIE) COUGHLAN
Elizabeth Coughlan married Cornelius (Con) Hailes
220.127.116.11 Patricia (Pat) Hailes m. Don Mulqueen
18.104.22.168 Kevin Hailes m. Dorothy Moynihan
22.214.171.124.3 Ronald m. Donna Courane
126.96.36.199.4 Anne m. Rex Duncan
188.8.131.52.5 Rosemarie m. Scott Pringle
184.108.40.206 Edward (Eddie) Hailes d. 2011 m. Anita Flynn d. 2009
220.127.116.11 Leslie (Les) Hailes m. Patricia Cody
18.104.22.168.2 John Leslie
22.214.171.124 Marita Hailes m. Alex (Lex) Moynihan
ELIZABETH COUGHLAN was born in Kerrytown in 1890. After her mother died in 1921, she stayed on in the Coughlan house , in Temuka, until she married CORNELIUS HAILES. Con appears to be descended from John and Mary Hailes, who arrived in Southland on the Carrick Castle in 1874. Con was born on November 8, 1896. Elizabeth and Con farmed at Balfour in Southland. Although always known as Liz in the later years, she was most fondly known by to everyone in the early years as “Lizzie”
ELIZABETH ON THE SWING AND HER YOUNGER SISTER, HELENA
In the years 1913 through 1916 Lizzie entered numerous cooking competitions. These competitions were usually held at Shows, like the Winchester Show or at bazaars, annual exhibitions, flower shows and other occasions. She was an expert baker as she won many of the competitions baking sausage rolls, scones, sponge cake, shortbread, small cakes, dark fruit cake. And as the years went by she made cakes for anniversaries and weddings.
In June, 1921 Elizabeth Coughlan opened a Ladies and Children’s Wear business in a shop that was previously occupied by William George Carpenter, next to Hancox’s Boot Store. Later that year she moved to a new premises, those lately occupied by the Temuka Art Depot, next to Gabites. Many advertisements appear in the Temuka Leader for such things as knickers, and all kinds of women’s wear. This is the store that I believe her younger sister, Helena, (1.1.13) took over when Elizabeth married on September 3, 1924. Helena sold he business on the 15th of March 1927.
A presentation was made prior to the marriage and this piece appeared in the Temuka Leader:
“PRESENTATION to Miss E. Coughlan - A number of the friends of Miss. E. Coughlan met in the Social Hall of St. Joseph’s, Temuka, to do honour to Miss Coughlan on the eve of her marriage.
During the evening, Miss Coughlan was presented with a case of stainless cutlery, with a silver plate engraving on the top: “Presented to Miss E. Coughlan from her Temuka friends, August 29th, 1924” The Rev. Father Frier and others spoke in highly complimentary terms of Miss Coughlan, and wished her every happiness in her future life.
Mr. W.F. Evans (Deputy-Mayor) wished Miss Coughlan a successful career, and concluded by calling for three cheers, which were lustily given. Mr. C. Hailes responded on behalf of Miss Coughlan. Items were given by Mrs. A. Clemens, Miss Mona Evans (Temuka), Miss Eileen Irwin (Christchurch) and Mr. B. O’Connor (Timaru).
Music was supplied by Messrs Simes and Son, Riley, B. O’Connor and G.F. Fitzgerald.
The gathering terminated with the singing of “Auld Lang Syne.
Liz and Con’s wedding was reported in the Temuka Leader:
“A pretty wedding, which created considerable interest, was solemnized by the Rev. Father Fraber at St. Joseph’s Church, Temuka, on Wednesday, the contracting parties being Miss E. Coughlan of Temuka and Mr. C. Hailes, of Balfour. The bride, who was led to the altar by her eldest brother, Mr. M. Coughlan, of Timaru, looked exceedingly pretty in a simple frock of ivory satin with skirt and sleeves of of radium lace, and daintly trimmed with clusters of pearls. Her veil was arranged in butterfly style, caught with orange blossoms. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Clare Coughlan, who looked charming in a frock of apricot shot taffeta with hat and bouquet to tone. Mr. Walter Hailes, brother of the bridegroom, attended as best man. During the ceremony appropriate music was rendered by Miss E. Deanchy, of Timaru, and at the Offertory Abt’s “Ave Maria” was sung by Miss Eileen Irwin, of Christchurch.
Friends of the bride and bridgroom were afterwards entertained at the home of the bride, “Parkview” and after a sumptuous repast the happy couple left admidst showers of confetti for the North Island, on their way to Kaikoura and Nelson. The bride travelling in a mauve frock beautifully embroidered in silver over which was worn a short musquash coat. Her hat was of silver, with mauve and pick flowers. The future home of Mr. and Mrs. Hailes will be at Balfour.
The presents were numerous and splendidly varied and valuable , included several cheques, some of which ran into three figures. Showing how popular the birde is locally, her shop was decorated by some of her friends with various coloured greenery, in the midst of which was a kewpie dressed as a bride, this evidently being done in the early hours of the morning of the wedding.”
Elizabeth died at Balfour in 1961, at age 70. Con died at the farm at Balfour in 1979. He and Elizabeth are buried in the Balfour cemetery in Southland.
An early picture of the Hailes Family. Patricia, Con Hailes, Marita, Kevin, Elizabeth Hailes, Eddie and Les is sitting in front.